Remembrance Day 2018

In military tradition, the Last Post signifies the end of the day’s activities.  Soldiers didn’t have wristwatches so the bugle or trumpet call would tell them when to have meals, when to go on parade, when to go to bed and other things throughout the day.  It is also played at military funerals and is played at the graveside.

On the 11th November at 11am, the Last Post is played to signal the start of the 2 minute silence.  The silence marks the end of the First World War and is a time to remember and honour all those who have been killed, injured or are still fighting today.  On Friday 9th November, Mr Ridgley ( Music Teacher) played the Last Post surrounded by our students as a mark of respect and in remembrance.

Courtney and Alba were selected by the University of Cambridge to attend an Modern Foreign Languages undergraduate taster day at Girton College. This was a competitive process, and they were part of a group of 40 students chosen from across the country!

During the day, they worked on French slang, studied a literary extract in French and analysed a French translation of Lewis Carroll’s Jabberwocky.
Both of our students flourished in the challenging conditions and rose to the occasion with the work they produced!

Ben Leonard

It is with great sadness that I must inform you that we have lost a member of our school family.

Ben Leonard died following a tragic accident on the Great Orme near Llandudno on Sunday 26th August 2018.

Ben attended Denton Community College between 2013 and 2018. He was an active member of our community as a prefect, librarian and regular performer in our school productions.

Ben was a very popular student at the school and will be remembered fondly by all those that knew him.

At this time our thoughts and condolences are with his family, friends and the community he has left behind.

Mr G Rule

(Headteacher)

Any student or member of staff affected by the loss of Ben will be given access to trained councillors and support services if required.

Summer Reading Challenge

All students have been invited to join the Summer Reading Challenge. This will help to support the progress they have already made and give them a boost over the Summer!  Students have been sent an invitation to their school email addresses. There will be prizes for those who get involved!

Summer Reading Challenge

Debate Mate Success

After completing two regional rounds, Denton Community College ranked fourth in the entire country and were invited to the Debate Mate grand final in London where they debated against the top 8 teams nationally. The day consisted of three rounds of debates and all students performed exceptionally well with Autumn in year 10 winning best floor speech of the day. 

Brave Teacher’s Marathon

I’m running the London Marathon on April 22nd to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation. For me this is going to be a huge challenge as I was diagnosed with a heart condition in 2011 where my heart can and did just stop beating. This has led to 15 surgeries and a total of 372 days in spent hospital. Without the British Heart Foundations research I would quite simply not be alive as their funding and research have led to procedures I have directly benefitted from. When I was diagnosed with my condition in 2011 I was told that I would never finish my degree, I would never work full time and that I would never be able to run again. Thankfully for me treatment has improved, research continues daily to allow people to live longer and I’ve never been one for using the word never. As a full time teacher at DCC I have already proven two of their initial statements wrong and the marathon will be me proving the third and final one wrong also, its just taken a while longer. For me though its also proof that nothing is impossible and that sometimes if we work hard and commit ourselves to our goals we can achieve them. This is something I love to instil in the students I teach but is something I hope the whole school body will catch a part of as they hear about my achievements.
I am continually blown away by the support I receive both from staff and students at DCC. My classes in particular have been unbelievably supportive as they have been hearing about this marathon, and the training for it, for over of 4 months now. They will probably be as relieved when its over as I am! They are however excited about the potential of seeing me on the TV – I promise to give DCC a shout out should I get myself interviewed!
If you would like to read more about my story and more specifically why I’m running for the BHF please do visit my just giving page at www.justgiving.com/hopewins18