GCSE Photography

Photography is defined here as the practice of producing images using light-sensitive materials such as photographic film, or digital methods of development and production to create static or moving images.

Areas of study

In Component 1 and Component 2 students are required to work in one or more area(s) of photography, such as those listed below:

  • portraiture
  • location photography
  • studio photography
  • experimental imagery
  • installation
  • documentary photography
  • photo-journalism
  • moving image: film, video and animation
  • Fashion

They may explore overlapping areas and combinations of areas.

Each area is worth a possible 24 marks, students must show that they have done the following:

– Researched into a given theme/topic and looked at a range of different artists, cultures and designers and used their work to influence their own.

– Produced good quality photographs on a chosen theme/topic.

– Developed and explored ideas and processes reviewing and modifying their work as it progresses.

– Shown a personal response to a given theme (a final piece or pieces).

Students will complete 3 component 1’s (coursework) projects in class and at home. Component 1 is worth 60% of the final GCSE grade awarded and at the end of year 11 students will complete component 2 (exam) project which makes up the remaining 40% of the GCSE.