Home Learning During January Lockdown 2021
Home Learning is a formal part of the curriculum at Denton Community College and the work set is monitored by classroom teachers and quality assured by the Senior Leadership Team. As always, our aim is to provide a Home Learning curriculum that:
- remains broad and balanced
- remains engaging and stimulating for students
- ensures all students have the opportunity to follow the subjects that we offered before Lockdown
Routines and expectations
1. All classwork and Weekly Home Learning tasks will be set through Google Classroom for each subject. This will provide your child with 5 hours of learning each day.
2. Work will appear in Google Classroom on the morning of your child’s timetabled lesson. Although we recommend students follow their timetable, we recognise that this may not always be possible. This system allows students to work flexibly according to their/your needs when working from home.
3. Students should complete one hour of work for the lesson and then submit what they have produced. We want to make sure we manage workload and look after the health and wellbeing of all our students. For some, this may mean they have not completed all of the task(s) set for that lesson. Our staff know their students well and will know what level students are working at and what they can produce within the hour.
4. Each subject will include a Weekly Home Learning Task as part of the work set. This meets with the expectation that schools will provide 5 hours of Home Learning per day as outlined by the Department for Education.
5. Students will receive a variety of learning experiences across subjects. This will involve a combination of live lessons, video lessons, live Google Meet discussions, electronic resources and worksheets. This varied approach to learning reflects the recommendation of the Department for Education and Ofsted.
6. Please send queries individual work to your child’s classroom teacher. You can use the Google Classroom messaging function or email.
7. Form time will run daily at 11.15am with your child’s form tutor on Google Meet to help structure their day. We encourage all students to attend so they can feed back to their tutor, hear important messages and keep in touch with their classmates.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Where can I find contact details for my child’s form tutor?
Please click here for access to the form tutor list.
What if my child has forgotten their password or is struggling to access their online work?
Should your child be unable to access Google Classroom, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for a password reset.
What if we do not have computer or limited internet access?
We may be able to support you with technology or internet access. A number of internet service providers also have offers available. Please email your child’s Head of Year and they will advise you on what support can be offered.
What do I do if my child needs paper resources?
Please email: email@example.com and your request will be passed to the Head of Year and the appropriate administration team. We will also contact you to help troubleshoot any ICT issues your child may have so that they can access their work through Google Classroom as soon as possible.
How can I see if my child is completing their work in all subjects to a good standard?
We are currently setting up a function on our tracking system, Go4Schools, to enable staff to assess your child’s engagement in Home learning for each of their subjects. You will then be able to access these grades. We will let you know as soon as this is live and what those grades mean. In the meantime, you can request and update from your child’s form tutor.
Can I see what work is being set on Google Classroom?
You can have access to a guardian summary email which will detail the task, deadline and topic for each subject. You can choose to have these daily or weekly. If you would like to receive these notifications, please email your child’s form tutor who will be able to send you an email invite to the guardian summary. You can find out more here.
How and when will feedback be given to my child?
Subject teachers will feed back to your child on the work they have produced in their Google Classroom. This will be a combination of both written and verbal comments.
How do I support my child’s well-being when managing assignment deadlines?
Students will be set a deadline for the completion of work. When evaluating Google Classroom with both students, parents & carers, we were asked for deadlines to be set so that the work appears in the child’s ‘to do’ list. However, we know that we are working in difficult and challenging circumstances and there will always be flexibility with deadlines. If you or your child are concerned, please contact the subject teacher.
My child has additional needs. How will you work with me to support their Home Learning?
We recognise that some students with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) may need additional support to access remote education. We acknowledge the difficulties this may place on families and we will work with parents and carers to support those students. If you have any concerns, please contact your child’s Head of Year.
Would you like to Contribute?
Please click on the image below for our Parent/ Carer Focus group
Clarification and support on expectations of our Home Learning package and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) can be found in this letter which was sent to Parents by Mrs Cooper: Click Here