Denton Community is proud to announce it’s the latest set of Alumni from the Brilliant Club University Scholars Programme. The students graduated from Manchester University last week after completing University style dissertations based on a wide range of topics in a range of disciplines. These included English, Maths, Science and Humanities.
This is the 4th Year that the college has been involved with the Brilliant Club programme and it is again a year of tremendous success for all the students involved.
This year 34 Denton students completed this challenging academic exercise, all students managed to complete all aspects of the course and submit work in order to obtain a University Style Degree Certificate.
The Scholars Programme recruits, trains and places doctoral and postdoctoral researchers in schools to deliver programmes of university-style tutorials, these are then supplemented by two university trips. It aims to increase the number of pupils from under-represented backgrounds progressing to highly selective universities. They do this by mobilising the PhD community to share its academic expertise with state schools. DCC has worked with the programme for four years.
This year DCC entered it’s the largest cohort of students and they worked to complete University style dissertations over an extended period of time. The students were highly successful and produced the best results the school has seen from the programme.
Their work was marked with a University style grading system, and over 30% of the Cohort received the highest grade of either a 1st and 20% achieved a 2:1. These grades demonstrate that these students are working at A level standard. 50% of students achieved the next two grades of 2:2 or 3rd which are as good as GCSE level. All these grades are an amazing achievement considering that the students have not yet begun GCSE courses.
Congratulations to all involved, and special thanks to Ms Driver for organising, arranging and supporting this opportunity.